Welcome to the Blog for www.seekitout.co.uk.

Seek It Out: taster crafting kits and stunning designer items for your home

Visit www.seekitout.co.uk TODAY!




Friday 9 November 2012

Eggless Wonder Cake


 This weekend set me a new challenge that worked so well I felt to share it with everyone who might be Seeking Out something special out there...


Choosing my mixing bowls
A good friend let slip on Saturday that it was going to be his Birthday the next day - I try to make a cake for any loved one on their birthday but this one had a catch...Jo and his wife Heidi are Lacto-Vegetarian and I had never tried to make an eggless cake before.

So, I did what all modern food lovers do...I looked online for a recipe! having no knowledge of where to start, I ventured into the unknown and gave this very simple recipe a go from: http://kitchenexhibitionist.blogspot.com/2006/09/baking-for-lacto-vegetarians-eggless.html
A little tricky to turn out...

Chocolate Cake 
3 cups flour 
6 tablespoons cocoa powder 
2 teaspoons baking soda 
2 teaspoons salt 
2 cups sugar 
2/3 cup vegetable oil 
2 tablespoons white vinegar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
2 cups cold water 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat well. Pour into an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 35 minutes. Allow cake to cool before frosting. 

Chocolate Fudge Frosting 
1 cup sugar 
5 tablespoons butter 
1/3 cup milk 
1 cup milk chocolate chips 
(I used a cup of broken up plain chocolate)

In a medium saucepan bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and frosting is smooth. Pour evenly over the cake that is still in the pan. Allow to cool.


Double-boiler to the rescue
I made the frosting far too soon so it started to set before the cake was cooked but I found that transferring the whole lot into my trusty double-boiler and warming it over a gentle heat soon brought it back to its silky smooth texture.






Caught licking the bowls clean
I found all the ingredients (bar the chocolate bar) in my cupboards and it took no time at all to whip up. I was naughty and iced the cake while it was still quite warm, I also dug out the candles and stuck them straight in too...just in time for Jo to walk in and see his surprise. The boys (grown men actually) tucked into the frosting pan with sheer glee and couldn't wait until after dinner to try the cake itself so we dug in while it was warm with a wish for Jo, I think he wished for another one just like it next year!



Yummy!
So, if you find you have friends who can't eat eggs or you need to whip up a quick cake for surprise visitors - this is a great 'go to' recipe.






Good luck and happy baking! 

Ruthie in South Africa

No comments: